Len's record over his first two years in office been an extraordinary success. Together with a left Executive we are building the best and biggest fighting back union in Britain and Ireland.
Here are just some of Len's achievements as a Left General Secretary:
- Real leadership in the fight against austerity - UNITE's message is clear: "no to all cuts-don't make workers pay for the crisis"
- Real progress in branch reorganisation to create workplace branches
- £25M dispute fund set up
- Major resources devoted to our highly successful Leverage strategy in disputes
- A genuine fighting back strategy that is seeing real wins for UNITE workers when they take strike action
- Community membership introduced - a first in the union movement
- 50,000 new members from a relaunched 100% campaign
- Plans for a new conference/training centre in Birmingham city centre
- New fightback in the Labour Party - no more blank cheques!
- New ecomms strategy giving UNITE the best website and member contact in the union movement
- Membership data systems overhauled and simplified
- No repudiations of any dispute since Len took office
- Root and branch review started of every UNITE department to make it "fit for purpose"
- A tolerant open and democratic union
Martin Mayer Chair United Left